Saturday, February 28, 2015

Springtime Shelf & Coffee Table Makeover

Good morning all!  Yes I have been absent for a little while, and I am sorry about that; unfortunately with working full-time, school full-time, and add in the husband and three child family - you could say it's chaos. 
I have been working on little projects here and there. And I have definitely been building up the project inventory. I also have an amazing client project to get started on as well!

Today I have a two projects for you and a sneak peek of my current inventory. 

Sometimes to brighten up a room, all you really need is a fun and funky accent piece. That accent piece can come from something that normally would have blended in as well. 
When I found this little dandy, that's exactly what I had in mind. 


This shelf is approx five inches deep, and 26" x 25"; so it's definitely a decent size.  

I didn't take very many step by step pictures on this because it was a very easy project. 
Just some paint, a small stencil - then waxing and distressing. 
The finished product turned out very cute though. 


This is a super cute shelf that can be used to brighten up any area of your home. 


Now the other project. 
This gem was found at our local Habitat For Humanity ReStore. This is a solid oak Lane coffee table. Even though it's outdated, I knew there was something beautiful hiding underneath the outdated stain color. The short column legs I saw and instantly fell in love with them. 

There was quite a bit of water damage on the top and the previous poly coat was peeling. 

Lots and lots of sanding. Starting out with 80 grit, all the way up to 220 grit. 

After seeing the beautiful woodgrain I decided for certain that the top would be stained rather than painted. 

But the sanding doesn't stop there!

All the sides were pretty heavily coated in old poly so I wanted to start fresh. 


I stained the top with my favorite one "Espresso". I really love this color
The bottom is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White.  Then distressed to highlight the beautiful feature and curves. 

The top has three coats of poly in a satin finish for protection. The rest of the table is sealed with clear wax.

I love how it turned out so much, that I decided to keep it for myself. It helped to lighten up our living room and fits in wonderfully!


Now onto the upcoming projects. There is so much coming up, and I just can't wait to get started. I found some real beauties (mostly in part to some great friends who are always on the lookout)!

Alright so yes I started working on this already and yes it doesn't look very pretty right now. There were many more divots/nail holes in it than I originally noticed so had to fix that. Not everything starts out looking pretty. 





This is just such an odd shaped table and the door that you see goes thru to the other side. I also found this at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. 






This is actually a set of two. I already took out the drawer pull and found more holes from previous drawer pulls so that is what you are seeing. But look at those legs - love the heavy texture. 





This is also a set of two. While they are more "boxy" that my normal pieces, they are rock solid and I think they could look just amazing. Possibly a fabric backing and some nice texture on the cube drawer from. 





Sometimes it's not just furniture that I find. I love this rooster bakery rack, and originally it was going to go into my kitchen - however I have since changed my kitchen away from roosters. Then there's these old '70s candle/wall sconces. I found these at a rummage sale and since then I've seen them at Goodwill, ReStore and everywhere else possible. I just feel like I can make them look more modern and amazing. 


Finally is this beautiful antique dumbwaiter piecrust table. I am so very excited about this one! It is bigger than the picture makes it appear. I did some research as well about it after I purchased it and wow, I didn't realize how much story was behind it. 


I do have a few more pieces and as I stated before, I have an AMAZING client piece that I can't wait to get started on. This client, Ryan, has directed me to many wonderful pieces and I can't wait to work on the hall tree/stand/mirror beautiful piece she brought in. I won't be previewing pictures of her piece until I'm further along. I hope to really get a good start on it next weekend when I'm home. 

If anyone is interested in the pieces shown, please contact me, as they haven't been started and rather than me picking out the colors and details - you could pick them to match your decor! 

Well I am away visiting my parents this weekend so no time for projects - but next weekend I'll be back in full force.  

Happy Crafting!

Sarah
Second Chances Design

No comments:

Post a Comment